Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I Rarely Know Where I'm Going

I Rarely Know Where I'm Going,
but I always end up where I belong.

I know...I'm pretty sure that elicits some form of eye rolling, but it's typically true. I tend to move through things intuitively rather than with a focused rational method. I think on a high functioning level my brain knows my goal, forms a path and leads me to the destination, but I'm not always (read rarely) aware of it.
Most, if not all of my creations coming out of my workshop are that way. I start with a general idea and play with it until I'm happy. I've never been one to follow a strict guideline and seriously struggled in classes where I had to make essay outlines and things of that nature. I would just go into *blank stare at the wall for 10 minutes* mode if I had to think that far ahead.

So what's my point?

I'm a scatterbrained fool? Hopefully not, although if you were to stop me in the middle of this tirade trust me it would take a full 5 minutes for me to remember where I was.

The point is that everybody's creative process is different. Some people are laser focused and know from start to finish how something is going to work for them and some (like me) start at the beginning of an idea and feel their way through it. My best ideas come to me while I'm just letting the creative juices flow. Sometimes I start a project and realize that working on it was just a primer for something else, something way bigger and better.

I'll tell you a secret though...I DO sometimes wish I could be super focused. I kinda envision that version of myself as being something like Rachael Ray (but not annoying or scary), able to accomplish 20 different things in the span of minutes all because I didn't get distracted by something shiny.

At the end of the day though I'm still able to work up enough focus to channel my creative juices into my various projects. Most recently I've gotten obsessed with wreaths..Every year I make a wreath out of cedar clippings and random Christmas type things for the holiday season but have in the past few years also started making fall/harvest type wreath too. I made one like this from Martha Stewart's website last year which is kinda the inspiration for the wreaths that I'm making now. I'll be updating with finished picks of them as I have them and they'll be introduced to my Etsy shop shortly so keep an eye out they're pretty much the awesomeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment